For almost one year, this post on peanut allergies has been among my most popular here at RW&G.
I cannot tell you how happy that makes me–that people are reaching out to understand peanut allergies as never before.
With school gearing up again in the U.S., I wanted to bring the topic up again.
This time, I’d like to share with you three videos that I think are informative and understandable. (I also hope that you’ll go back and read the post from last year, too, because the content is still accurate.)
First up is a new video from the NIH. It is the finest, clearest explanation of what happens within the body when exposed to a food allergen. I also appreciate the important point made in the video that people who have food allergies and poorly controlled asthma are at the greatest risk for anaphylaxis (and death).
Next is a video about a California girl who died in her parent’s arms this summer. Her father is a doctor, they administered an Epi-pen and followed their exposure protocol, but it was too late. She died because she accidentally ate a Rice Crispy treat with peanut butter on it at a family-friendly event. She spit it out immediately. But she died. THIS sort of story is why parents like me are vigilant–even when it’s “annoying” to friends and relatives that we continue to ask about peanuts before parties and visits.
Another child survived a delayed reaction to a peanut exposure.
Thank you for taking the time to become informed about this important topic. I would also appreciate it if you would share and link to this post through your networks. By doing so, you just might save someone’s life.
Find and Follow Me On: